Super Tough Round Bale 6cm HaySaver Net (Size:4x4' Round bale - 6cm net $139)Rated 5/5 based on 2 reviews.
PROUDLY MADE IN AUSTRALIA - 'the original and the best'. NEW Super Tough 60 ply netting now used for the 6cm hole size nets.
6cm hole nets suit cereal and stalky hay, or situations where you want to contain the hay without slowing down the feeding rate too much eg. in winter or for older horses.
6cm nets are also better for feeding more than 4 horses from a bale (The larger holes make it easier for them to get their fill before they are moved off by others).
7 Reasons to Use a Slowfeeder haynet
- Stops hay wastage from trampling in mud, manure, urine, being blown away etc.
- Slows down consumption so the hay last 2-3 times longer and replicates grazing.
- Suitable to use without another hay feeder for a natural grazing position, and can reduce the incidence of choke (provided your horse is barefoot or is over 6 months old).
- Gives your horse hay 24/7, saving you time on re-fills and keeps your horse calmer and happier.
- Hay in the gut 24/7 avoids gut ulcers and colic incidents and allows horses to regulate their consumtion so they eventually eat less.
- Older horses find it easier to chew small amounts of hay taken from the net.
- Avoid eye injuries from horses putting their heads inside a round bale, or from tossing loose hay about.
- If your horse is shod or has large splits in their hooves, it's essential to contain the net inside a hay-ring or have a barrier around it so they can't catch a shoe/torn hoof if they paw at it.
- If the net tears it can be temporarily mended with some baling twine, then email us for more netting twine (some provided with purchase).
- Please note: When feeding round bales that have been stored outside, it is important to remove all wet or mouldy sections of the bale as the horses will not eat this (it can be dangerous if they do) and because of the net, they can't paw it out of the way to access the rest of the hay. If your hay is very coarse or stalky, some horses may find it frustrating to get the hay out and so can learn to chew through the netting - if you have this type of hay purchase a 6cm net.
- It's important to offer enough loose hay initially for them to fill up on so their frustration doesn't turn to destruction! If you are not sure how your horses will go with a larger more expensive net, try a small one first. If a hole does appear, mend it right away so the horses don't learn to benefit from making them!
- Tie up the loose netting as they eat the bale down. To see an example of this, and how to make a cover for your net click here.
- If your horse wears a rug with belly straps or a halter that has exposed buckles, please be aware that these can catch on the haynet if the horse rubs on or past it. Either secure the haynet in a hay ring or make a velcro cover for the buckles.
- It's best to put the haynet on from the top down, and secure the drawstring undeneath so there are no folds or loose netting to chew on.
- Please note: 6cm hole nets are not recommended for use with foals under 6 months old as their hooves may be small enough to get caught.
To put on a round bale net:
1. Remove the net wrap or strings. Tie a rope around the top so the layers don't fall down.
2. Dig out all the wet or mouldy parts until you can no longer feel any heat or smell mould. Horses will leave spoiled hay in the net.
3. This may involve peeling off a layer that can then be used for mulch.
4. Throw the net over the bale and work it down the sides from the top.
5. Pull it right to the bottom so the top is nice and tight.
6. Tighten the drawstring around the bottom, tie it and tuck inside the net so that a hoof can’t get caught.
For more info on using Slow Feeder Haynets and feeding systems click here.
These tough nets are made to last from durable, pre-stretched, UV stabilised heavy duty 60 ply (super tuff) polyethylene netting with a sturdy 6mm poly drawstring that is used in the marine industry. Square hole size is 6cm (2.4").
Round Bale nets come in three sizes to fit a round bale measuring approx.
- 6x4' (1.8 x 1.2m)
- 5'x4' (1.5x1.2m)
- 4'x4' (1.2x1.2m).
Contact us for custom sizes.
Sorry, we cannot offer a warranty on these nets due to the variables of use/hay and the unpredictable way horses will respond to them.
However we are happy to supply extra mending string or patches should your horses get destructive. Contact us here.
Slow Feeder Nets are a "god-send"By: Tracie Russell on 19 July 2018These nets are the best thing I've ever invested in - minimal wastage now and so much better value for money in purchasing large round bales now - I estimate I was losing at least 1/3 of every bale with them pulling it off and trampling on it as well as excretions tainting it all - HIGHLY RECOMMEND ANYONE TO INVEST IN THESE - AAA+++
Slow feeder hay net - Tough round bale 6cmBy: Bettina on 7 April 2018I was hesitant to spend more money on Round bale nets, as I had purchased a few from the local produce store. Which only lasted 3 hrs before there were large holes in the netting, $110 each.. Then I called natural horse world for advice, I am very pleased to say, I have used the 6 cm 5x4 round net 3 times now without holes.. I have now purchased another round net and 2 half bale nets. I received great advice and I am very happy with my purchases. Thank you!
HaynetBy: Angela on 13 July 2017Excellent well made product
6cm netBy: Hans Driessen on 6 July 2017works well but would like to see a 8cm or 10cm net for horses that need to eat more